Pages

LIFE IS A JOURNEY, ARE YOU READY?

COOKING ISRAEL COUSCOUS FOR THE FIRST TIME


I cooked Israeli Couscous today for the first time. I have ordered it and it is just sitting in the dry pantry for a while now. I sat on cooking this couscous because it is carbs anyhow. I thought I would stay with the quinoa for a while. Except that I have the frequent craving for noodles. I try to go for buckwheat if I cook for myself. I cannot really help it if I am eating out.

So Israeli Couscous, I like it. It is in a fun round shape and it is chewy like barley. Apart from the carbs, it is high in selenium which is good for anti-aging properties.

The Bob's brand asked for 1 cup of Israeli Couscous to 1 1/4cups of water. I find this too wet for my liking. This is what i would try next time.
  • A teaspoon of olive oil
  • 1 cup couscous
  • 1 cup water
  1. Heat the oil in a non stick pan. 
  2. Pour in the couscous and lightly toast it. It needs to be slightly brown in colour.
  3. Pour in room temperature water, leaving it at low fire. Cover and simmer until water is absorb. Let is steam until cooked through.
I continued to 'stir fry' it with the other already sauteed ingredients, almost to make the couscous a bit dryer than what 1 1/4 cups of water did to it. This is what else I added to it.
  • caramelised red onion
  • carrots diced and cooked with onions
  • broccoli stem diced and cooked with onions
  • some bird eye's chilli for heat
  • salted dried shrimps
  • roasted shiitake mushrooms
  • leftover roast chicken

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...